Venture Café alpha is an invitational prototype, with invitations extended to the entrepreneurial, innovative and creative communities around Greater Boston. Café-goers are expected to participate in a manner consistent with the Café’s Credo, described below.
To support the Venture Café’s mission to enable fresh and useful conversations and to act as a community hub, Venture Café reserves the right to dis-invite any individual that its management feels, in their sole judgment, detracts from achieving its mission.
Guests: Open to all members of the innovation community for up to three visits.
Affiliates: Visiting privileges will be extended to members of select innovation-focused partner organizations while they remain in good standing with their respective organization: Boston World Partnerships (connectors), C3, CIC, CommonAngels, Critical Mass, Dogpatch Labs, Greentown Labs, Mass Challenge (finalists and mentors), TechStars etc. Please enter your Affiliate code, available at the sign-in kiosk.
Contributors: After three visits, individuals must be approved as Contributors in order to attend the Café. Note: Applicants must also provide up to three references (these may be Venture Café Volunteers or well-known members of the innovation community).
Venture Cafe Credo and Participation Guidelines:
- Make yourself comfortable. The café’s open, friendly vibe emanates from its patrons. Our goal is to recreate a classic café, where people can unwind and engage with others. So take a breath, relax, and treat yourself to tea, wine or a frothy cup of local craft beer.
- Contribute in a positive way that is valued by other attendees. Respect the social norms of conversation and engagement, respecting others’ desire to interact, or not interact, based on the context of the situation. Be honest and straightforward in all dealings.
- Become an active participant in our experiment. We constantly try new things to improve your interactive experience in this unique space. Help us test things out by providing constructive feedback and sharing your ideas. Remember that we want you to want to come to the café!
- Ask yourself, “How can I help?” Your help may present in the form of sharing your own experiences, learning about another guest’s project and asking questions, or facilitating connections within your network. Follow up with your new contacts to strengthen your community connections.
- Become a regular. Spread the word. Venture Café is only as good as its participants. If you know people who should come to the café, invite them as your guest. We encourage you to schedule casual meetings in the café.
- A little consideration goes a long way. We welcome you as our guest at Venture Café. We are not a venue for selling.
- Act as if you were an invited guest at a dinner party or at a friend’s wedding. It’s okay to say what you do, but it’s not okay to sell. We encourage you to initiate and cultivate meaningful connections with others rather than focusing on the hard sell.
- Do your part. Please drink responsibly, re-use cups when possible, and help us keep our space clean by throwing away trash and wiping up spills. We appreciate your support!
- Consider joining our volunteer team. If you love Venture Café, we want you to become more involved in our community. We’re a fun group who love food, drink and meeting people. Contributing your skills and your time is a surefire way to make the Café what you want it to become. Share the love with a little creativity and collaboration!
Venture Café from its very beginnings has welcomed participants without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, military service, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, or disability. Venture Café reserves the right to refuse admission at our discretion.
We see this as a living document and welcome comments on this, our expression of the Venture Café philosophy.